So my biggest mistake is always making recipes where I have to buy some special ingredient that I may or may not use later.
I know what you’re thinking… “why don’t you just drink the vodka?!?” Unfortunately for me, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, I am allergic to alcohol. That Asian glow is coupled with a stuffy nose, a throbbing headache and some hives. Pleasant right? So while I would love nothing more than to down vodka so I can fit in with the rest of my peers, my body thinks otherwise.
And thus, my second challenge…. cooking with Vodka! How many different things can I do with vodka? It ended up being a much harder challenge than I thought. A girl can only eat so much pasta…
- Fried Chicken – OMG I love fried chicken. Any kind of fried chicken… southern fried chicken, Korean fried chicken, Japanese fried chicken. ( I think I’ve found my inspiration for my next challenge!) Who knew Vodka makes a crispier fried chicken?
- Pie Crust – hello empanadas! Vodka makes super flaky pie crust because it evaporates in the oven and has lower water content. Mmmm Empanadas, pineapple handpies… the possibilities are endless
- Vodka Lime Shrimp – I’m learning that vodka does a lot of really neat things to food. It’s like a utility ingredient!
- Scallops with Vodka – okay so it will be really hard to find the shells like this. I just used regular scallops from my local grocery store
- Okay so this is kind of cheating but who can resist vodka soaked fruits? Drunken Strawberry Shortcake is amazeballs